19 September 2021
The Jemima Puddle-Duck 50p coin is one of the most popular designs in the series of Beatrix Potter 50ps issued by The Royal Mint. Find out more about this coin and how much it's worth with our guide…
Back in 2016 The Royal Mint issued a set of 50p coins to mark 150 years since the Beatrix Potter's birth. This first issue consisted of the following coins:
- Peter Rabbit 50p coin (mintage of 9,700,000)
- Mrs Tiggy-Winkle 50p coin (mintage of 8,800,000)
- Jemima Puddle-Duck 50p coin (mintage of 2,100,000)
- Squirrel Nutkin 50p coin (mintage of 5,000,000)
- Beatrix Potter 150th anniversary 50p coin (mintage of 6,900,000)
How much is the Jemima Puddle Duck 50p worth?
The Jemima Puddle Duck coin was the rarest of these five designs, with a mintage of 2,100,000. However, that's still a lot of coins entered into circulation, and so the value of the coin is around £1 for a circulated version (one that you might find in your change) and it could fetch up to £10 for an example in excellent condition.
- Circulated Jemima Puddle Duck 50p: £1
- Circulated Jemima Puddle Duck 50p in excellent condition: £5-£10
- Brilliant Uncirculated Jemima Puddle Duck 50p: £10-£15
To put these values and mintages in context, the Kew Gardens 50p, the rarest 50p coin had a mintage of just 210,000, and the coin is worth around £80!
When the coin was first released a Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) version was also created, these coins do not go into circulation and are made as souvenirs/collectables, they feature a pristine finish (and are usually sold in special packaging to retain their condition) that isn't seen on the circulated coins. The Royal Mint offer BU coins for £10 though all of the Jemima coins have now sold out.
In future years the lower mintage coins will gain value, and the Jemima Puddle Duck 50p is definitely the one to look our for, so keep an eye on your change and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. It's no longer just that nasty Mr McGregor that's searching high and low for Peter Rabbit!
Jemima Puddle Duck 50p Specification
REVERSE DESIGNER: Emma Noble
OBVERSE DESIGNER: Jody Clark