02 October 2022
Japan Mint have issued a special coin set to celebrate the tradition of Cherry Blossom Viewing for 2022.
The coin set consists of six Japanese legal tender coins issued in 2022 in brilliant uncirculated condition:
- a 500 yen bicolor clad coin (nickel brass, cupronickel and copper)*
- a 100 yen cupronickel coin nickel brass coin
- a 100 yen cupronickel coin
- a 50 yen cupronickel coin
- a 10 yen bronze coin
- a 5 yen brass coin
- a 1 yen aluminum coin
- A pure silver medal (Size: 17.5mm x 17.5mm, Weight: approx. 4.3g)
The obverse of the silver medal shows letters representing “Cherry Blossom Viewing” as well as cherry blossom petals, which are depicted by using latent image technology. (Different cherry blossom petals appear alternatively when viewed from different angles.)
The reverse shows ’22 representing the year of issue, and this year’s animal zodiac sign, the Tiger.
How to buy the coins
- Visit the Japan Mint Online Shop
- International Dealers for This Product should click here for more information
- For enquiries email: [email protected]
Cherry Blossom Viewing in Osaka
The grounds of the Japan Mint contain many different varieties of flowering cherry trees. Every year, during the cherry blossom (sakura) season, a path through its grounds approximately 560 m long is opened to the public for cherry blossom viewing.
This event is known as “Cherry Blossom Viewing (Sakura-no-toorinuke)” because people walk along a one-way passage while viewing the cherry blossom. Since its inception in 1883, it has remained popular as one of Osaka’s best-loved spring traditions.
For the first time in 3 years, the Japan Mint has decided to open its gates and hosted Cherry Blossom Viewing while taking thorough measures to reduce the risk of Coronavirus (COVID 19) infection. Also, we have continued to sell annual coin sets featuring it for our customers.